Getting involved in research

Service Users and Carers

As a participant
The NHS Constitution sets out your rights as an NHS patient. One of the commitments in the Constitution is your right to be informed of research studies in which you might be eligible to participate.

We run many research studies relating to different mental health conditions and services provided within the community. We are always looking for new participants to become involved in research studies. If you would like information about research studies that we are conducting in EPUT please speak to your Trust clinician in the first instance. You can also access the UK Clinical Trials Gateway website which provides easy to understand information about clinical research trials running in the UK, and gives you and others access to a large range of information about these trials.

Working directly with Research Teams
Involvement of members of the public in research is actively encouraged. Advice on the design of research studies and what research should be funded are just two of the ways in which a member of the public might become involved in research. The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) fund and support INVOLVE to ensure that researchers, funders and the public are aware of the value and contribution of public involvement.


Research Approval
All research conducted within EPUT must have formal NHS Research Permission. Applications for approval must be submitted online to Pauline Young using the Integrated Research Approval System (IRAS). Supporting documentation e.g. draft participant information form, draft consent form, research tools etc. should also be submitted.

Useful guidance can be found on the Research Community section of the Health Research Authority(HRA) website.