Complaints & Compliments
Our promise to you
Whatever you think about our services or staff we want to hear from you. You may want to make a suggestion or comment, you may want to send a compliment about a staff member or service or you may want to complain.
If you do, we promise to:
- take you seriously;
- listen carefully;
- provide you with an explanation;
- do all we can to make amends to you and your family.
Your care will not be adversely affected by any comments or complaints you make – in fact, it is more likely to help things improve for everyone.
Making a complaint
If you have an issue you want to raise with us, there are a number of ways of doing so, just choose the one that suits you:
- If you are an inpatient and have a concern, the first step is to tell the person in charge of your ward who will try to resolve the concern. If they are not able to resolve your concern satisfactorily, you can contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service).
- You can contact the PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 0800 085 7935 and we will try to resolve your issue within 24 hours. If we can’t do so or if you are not satisfied with the response, we will arrange for it to be investigated.
- You can email a complaint or comment to email@example.com or telephone the Complaints Department on 01268 407817 between 09.00 and 17.00 Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).
- You can speak to any manager at any Trust location and they will try to sort issues out within five days, or in a timescale agreed with you.
- You can write to the Chief Executive: Miss Sally Morris, The Lodge, Lodge Approach, Runwell, Wickford, Essex, SS11 7XX.
- You can contact an Independent Complaints Advocacy Service between 09.00 to 17.00: POhWER on 0300 4562370, Rethink on 0300 790 0559 or if you are a Southend resident, Healthwatch on 01702 416320.
We welcome your compliments about our staff and services. Please send your compliments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Making comments and suggestions
There are a number of ways you can tell us something:
- you can call on our PALS freephone number and tell us;
- email us: email@example.com
- fill out surveys.
What will happen?
Whatever way you choose to get in touch, we will give you an acknowledgement (within three working days). A formal complaint will involve a full investigation and written response from the Chief Executive, this usually takes 30 working days. Occasionally, the investigation can take longer if there are complex issues being raised. It would be useful if you can highlight all of your concerns, to ensure that your questions are answered.
We will offer to discuss:
- Your concerns and what you would like to happen;
- How we will handle the issue and the timescales for doing so – we will agree these with you;
- You will be involved when we look into your issues;
- We will keep you updated in a way you choose (email, letter or telephone);
- Once we have reached conclusions, we will give you an explanation;
- If we have made a mistake, we will give you a full apology and tell you how we will learn from your experience.
- After this, if you remain unhappy you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to look into your case. You can call their helpline 0345 0154033, Monday to Friday 08:30 – 17:30. Or visit www.ombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint
Taking you seriously
We hope that you find this process easy to use and helpful. If you are unsure about what to do, please contact us and we can discuss the options. We know that some people will be anxious about speaking up but please be reassured, we will take you seriously and we will give you an explanation. That’s our promise.