Resource Therapy is part of the provision of adult community mental health services in secondary care.
Resource Therapy comprises predominantly Occupational Therapy (OT) staff supplemented in some areas by nursing and social care staff.
Resource Therapy is an integral part of Adult CMHTs performing a specialist function to offer a broad range of treatment options for clients with severe and enduring mental health needs.
Resource Therapy offers a range of therapeutic treatment programmes that focus on the recovery of function and occupational competence, utilising a recovery oriented approach within a social inclusion framework.
Treatment is mainly offered in groups. Examples of the therapeutic pathways offered include:-
- Coping skills groups.
- Creative therapy group which provides the opportunity to explore and experiment in terms of behaviour.
- Life Skills groups.
- Introduction to community resources and constructive use of free time.
- Problem solving groups for the management of specific conditions and symptoms.
- User led support groups
- Relapse Prevention
- Bridging the gap to independence and developing social networks.
The following principles underpin Resource Therapy:-
- To provide therapeutic intervention based on needs identified to aid recovery and/or social inclusion.
- To encourage group members to identify the support they require. Sessions are then planned on the basis of identified need in order to maximise choice and self-determination.
- To provide intervention in the most appropriate venue i.e. within Resource Centres, community facilities, the individual’s own home
- To provide opportunities for people with mental health problems to support each other, facilitating inter-dependence, including the promotion of self-help groups.
- To actively promote healthy living initiatives.
- To link with employment specialists and education providers.
- To support the needs of carers.
Resource Therapy utilises a model of practise based on the unique needs and skills of each individual within the resources available.
Resource Therapy has strong links with Occupational Therapy colleagues in In-patient Services, Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Teams and the Long-term Conditions Service.
Where service is based
|Resource Therapy for Basildon
Level A, Basildon Mental Health Unit
Essex SS16 5NL
Tel: 01268 243500
|Resource Therapy for Brentwood
Brentwood Resource Centre
Tel: 01277 302220
|Resource Therapy at Grays
Essex RM17 5TT
Tel: 01375 402276
|Resource Therapy for Rochford, Rayleigh and Castle Point
1 Websters Way
Essex SS6 8JQ
Tel: 01268 774850
|Resource Therapy for Southend
283 London Road
Essex SS0 7BX