Palliative Care Nursing Team
The Palliative Care Nursing Team consists of nurses who have undertaken specialist training and have experience and skills in palliative care. Palliative care is for people with advanced and progressive illness that cannot be cured. Palliative care aims to provide support and management of physical symptoms such as pain, and also provide psychological, social and spiritual care to patients and their families. The Palliative Care Nurses are part of an experienced Integrated Community Nursing Team which includes District Nurses, Long Term Conditions Nurses and Case Managers who work together to provide appropriate healthcare services.
This service is specifically designed to:
- Help patients and their families to cope with diagnosis, illness, and progression of disease;
- Provide expert advice, support and information about symptoms and treatment;
- Assess and manage physical, social, psychological and spiritual needs;
- Support patients and families to access other services such as financial advice or spiritual care;
- Care for patients and their families throughout illness, death and into bereavement.
Where service is based
Southend Team is based in Willow Ward; Castle Point, Rayleigh and Rochford Team is based in clinics in Canvey, Thundersley and Hockley. Service provided in patient’s homes including residential care settings.
Hours of operation
Weekdays 08.00 – 19.00
Weekends 08.00 – 16.00
How to contact service
Via District Nurse Liaison
Tel: 0333 015 3481
How to access the service
Please ask for a referral from one of the following:
• Local Authority
• Community Service