Specialist Tuberculosis Nurses provide a community based service to follow up and support patients once they are presumed to have tuberculosis to ensure that medication is taken to completion.
The service provides diagnostic, treatment and screening services across south, mid and west Essex. All tuberculosis patients are cared for by a multidisciplinary team, whether seen as inpatients or in outpatients; this involves; the TB nurses, the chest consultants, infectious disease consultant, HIV services, paediatricians, microbiologists, infection control, physiotherapist, radiologists and the health protection unit (HPU).
Other services that they provide are:
- Offering information, advice and support to patients, the public and health professionals on all aspects of tuberculosis management and care
- Mantoux testing and BCG vaccinations for all TB contacts
- Screening of family and close contacts of those with active TB
- New immigrant screening service
- Nurse led screening clinics at all hospital sites
- Support, advice and training for the BCG service
Where service is delivered
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Hours of operation
Monday – Friday 09.00 – 16.30
How to contact service
Tel: 01702 372008
How to access the service
Please ask for a referral from your GP or other health care professional.
Self-referrals are accepted