Paediatric Asthma & Allergy Service
The Asthma and Allergy Service is a community-based service providing a service to children and young people aged up to 16 years who live within and are registered with a GP in South East Essex or attend a school in the area (Southend and Castlepoint and Rochford Clinical Commissioning Group areas).
The service provides:
- care plans
- asthma, eczema and allergies training for patients and families
Our team works in partnership with parents, carers and health professionals in caring for children with asthma and allergies. We encourage families to become active participants in their child’s assessment and treatment.
We work hard to encourage the families to become active participants in their child’s assessment and treatment.
Where service is based
The service has an administrator based on Willow Ward at Rochford Hospital. The clinics are run from nine different locations across South East Essex.
Hours of operation
8.30- 4.30 Monday to Friday
How to contact service
Contact the team Secretary for the Asthma and Allergy Lead Nurses on 01702 372074
How to access the service
Please ask for a referral from one of the following:
- Education (Preschool and school)
- Health professional (GP, Hospital Consultant, Health visitor or School nurse)
When we accept a referral we will provide a clinic appointment to support a child and their family with their condition. We will discuss with you the most appropriate treatment approach.
As all children are different, we work with you, to individualise what would be the best treatment approach for your child. This may include any of the following;
- A full assessment in clinic with a discussion on the cause, triggers and how to manage the illness
- Demonstration and advice on how to use an inhaler and spacer, give medication, apply lotion or use and adrenaline auto-injector
- A written care plan for use at home, school, pre-school or other surroundings your child or young person needs support in
- Liaise with other professionals (Hospital Consultant, GP, health visitors, school nurses, tertiary centres, other professionals and School, pre-school)
- Refer to local paediatricians if appropriate