Journey & Referrals
The Asthma and allergy Service is a community-based service currently providing a service to children and young people aged up to 16 years who live within and are registered with a GP in South East Essex or attend a school in the area (Southend and Castlepoint and Rochford Clinical Commissioning Group areas).
Our team works in partnership with parents/carers, other health professionals, child care providers and educational professionals to support and empower them to ensure children with asthma, allergies and eczema receive the appropriate care needed in all environments they are in. We work hard to encourage the families to become active participants in their child’s assessment and treatment.
Children and young people can have mild, moderate and severe asthma; they can have mild, moderate and severe eczema; children can also have mild moderate and life threatening allergies including anaphylaxis.
We provide an evidence-based, friendly and approachable service that anticipates and responds to the needs of children that have asthma, eczema or allergies. We look at the current or future impact of their illness when we consider whether to accept a referral and offer a clinic appointment.
When we accept a referral we will provide a clinic appointment to support a child and their family with their condition. We will discuss with you the most appropriate treatment approach.
As all children are different, we work with you, to individualise what would be the best treatment approach for your child. This may include any of the following;
- A full assessment in clinic with a discussion on the cause, triggers and how to manage the illness
- Demonstration and advice on how to use an inhaler and spacer, give medication, apply lotion or use and adrenaline auto-injector
- A written care plan for use at home, school, pre-school or other surroundings your child or young person needs support in
- Liaise with other professionals (Hospital Consultant, GP, health visitors, school nurses, tertiary centres, other professionals and School, pre-school)
- Refer to local paediatricians if appropriate