Return to Practice for Allied Health Professionals (AHPs)
Welcome to the Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust return to practice for Allied Health Professionals
- Have you previously been registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC)?
- Have you been out of practice for more than two years?
- Are you looking for an opportunity to update your skills and knowledge and return to the register?
- Are you unsure what to do next? Join EPUT!
Are you Ready to get back to your Career with EPUT?
At EPUT we welcome enquiries from professionals who wish to return to practice and who we will endeavour to support in becoming registered with the HCPC again. We have a wide range of clinical and geographical areas available, and we will work with you to find a suitable opportunity to help you on your journey.
We have a wide range of clinical and geographical areas available for Dietitians, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists and Podiatrists.
- Mentorship & support through regular supervision and yearly appraisal;
- Professional training;
- Further career development opportunities;
- Flexible working.
As part of the return to practice support you may be able to claim up to £800 from Health Education England (£500 for the clinical experience and £300 towards courses and other learning opportunities)
HCPC Skill Update Requirements
In order to become registered, you will be required to complete a minimum number of hours to update your clinical skills and knowledge, please see below:
Time out of practice /
Minimum time required to update skills & knowledge
*at least 50% of the hours need to be in practice
Up to 2 years
No requirement needed
2 to 5 years
30 days (210 hours)
Over 5 years
60 days (420 hours)
Get back to what you love to do in a few simple steps:
1. Register your interest to be invited for an informal discussion.
2. You can choose one of our Return to practice routes:
Apply for an advertised AHP role. If successful, complete the number of hours required to regain registration in as a Band 4 returnee. Once HCPC registration is confirmed, return to the original pay grade advertised.
Honorary Contract (unpaid) Route:
You will be invited along to an informal interview to assess your suitability. If agreed, a placement will be identified and once completed successfully, you can apply for HCPC registration.
How to Apply
- Contact the AHP Team directly to ask about our positions via: AHP.firstname.lastname@example.org or
- Complete and email the form you can find on the right side of the site to express your interest
Find more information:
For further information on returning to practice, and the required eligibility criteria, please click on the links below:
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Returning to practice | (hcpc-uk.org)
- Health Education England (HEE) Return to Practice: allied health professionals, healthcare scientists and practising psychologists | Health Education England (hee.nhs.uk)
Please note, if you have any fitness/condition to practice issues cited against you by the HCPC you would not be eligible to return to practice.