Eating Disorders Service

This service covers all of Essex, treatment provided will differ from teams based in the South and North of Essex.

What is the Eating Disorders Service?

The Eating Disorders Service based in south Essex is a service that covers a range of eating difficulties for adults aged 18 and above.

In the first instance you will need to book an appointment with your General Practitioner (GP) to discuss your concerns. Depending on your needs your GP may refer you to the First Response Team, in order for a diagnosis to be made. If appropriate you may then be referred to the Eating Disorders Service. The referrer would usually provide us with information about you, including your body mass index (weight in kg/height in m2), history of eating problems, current eating behaviour and type of eating disorder. We do not accept direct referrals from members of the public. You will be allocated a care co-ordinator within your local community mental health team to oversee your care and ensure your treatment needs are met.

The Eating Disorder team provide the following services:

  • Day Care Service
  • Community Care
  • Individuals
  • Groups
  • Out-patients

The Eating Disorders service consists of:

  • Clinical Nurse Specialist
  • Nurse Practitioners
  • Administrative support

Eating Disorders Intensive Community Treatment

The team offers a range of therapies including: weight and diet monitoring, specialist supportive clinical management, family therapy, cognitive behaviour therapy, Maudsley Anorexia Nervosa Treatment for Adults (MANTRA).

EDICT offers a comprehensive range of therapies five days a week for those in need of a more intensive treatment package.

Where services are based

Eating Disorders Service
Mental Health Unit
Basildon Hospital
Essex SS16 5NL

Eating Disorders Intensive Community Treatment
The Northgate Centre
North Station Road

Hours of operation

Monday to Thursday 9.00-16.00
Friday 9.00-13.30

How to contact service

Eating Disorder Service 01268 243538

EDICT 01206 333300

How to access service

Please ask for a referral from one of the following:

  • GP
  • Health Professional

Self referrals are not accepted to this service.