Skip to main content

Specialist School Nursing and Children's Epilepsy Service


The Specialist School Nursing Service provide support for children, young people and their families with additional and complex needs throughout their school lives from 3 to 19 years, both within special and mainstream schools.

The Children's Epilepsy Service provides support and advice for children and young people aged 0 to 18 who live in South East Essex and their parents and carers.

Service Information

The team of specialist nurses and assistants offers competency-based training for other health and care professionals, parents, carers and colleagues within education, enabling individuals to support young people within school and early years settings, whilst drawing up health plans in conjunction with others ensuring continuity of care.

The team also has two designated members of staff who provide respite and short breaks to children and young people aged 0 to 16 who have the most complex needs, supporting the delivery of the Aiming High for Disabled Children (AHDC) programme.

Where service is delivered

  • Kingsdown School
  • Lancaster School
  • Cedar Hall
  • Glenwood School
  • St Nicholas School
  • St Christopher’s School
  • Mainstream Schools (epilepsy only)
  • Children and young people’s homes

How to contact the service

Specialist School Nursing: 
Children's Epilepsy Service:

Referral Information

Specialist School Nursing: Children and young people who attend any of the schools listed above can access specialist school nursing.

Children's Epilepsy Service: Children and young people aged up to 18 years with a diagnosis of epilepsy, or who are going through assessment for epilepsy, can receive a referral. Referrals into the Children's Epilepsy Service can be made by:

  • health professionals
  • colleagues in education
  • social care
  • parents/carers

Respite Service: Children and young people must be in prior contact with paediatric community nurses and have life-limiting or complex health needs.

Additional Services

Get help?